We’re in full party prep mode around here as it’s my younger son’s 2nd birthday party this Sunday. The theme is ‘Teddy Bears’ Picnic’ in honour of his favourite thing in the world – a raggedy old stuffed polar bear, affectionately (but not so creatively) known as ‘Bear’. These little teddy bear biscuits were made using a basic gingerbread recipe, some royal icing, white chocolate melts and smarties. Very simple to do and I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say I’m pretty sure they’re gonna be a hit with the kids! (If they’re received with the same enthusiasm as the Thomas the Tank biscuits we made using basically the same recipe, we’re on a winner!)
What you will need:
For the biscuits
(makes approx. 18 biscuits)
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup golden syrup
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 4tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp bicarb soda
- electric mixer
- baking paper
- rolling pin
- circle cookie mould (4-6cm in diameter)
- a small circle mould (1-2cm)
- baking tray
For the icing
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 egg white
- small drop of brown food dye
For the faces
- 2 pink or orange smarties per biscuit (approx. 36 in total)
- 1 brown smartie per biscuit (approx. 18 in total)
- 2 dark brown mini smarties per biscuit
- 1 Cadbury’s white chocolate melt per biscuit
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric mixer for 10-12 mins or until light and creamy. Add the golden syrup, flour, ginger and bicarb soda and beat until smooth dough forms.
3. Roll out the dough between sheets of baking paper to about 5mm thick.
4. Use the larger circle cookie cutter to cut out the face biscuits. Then use the smaller circle cutter to cut out 2 small circles for each face to make the ears. Push the ‘ears’ onto the faces, shaping them into semi circles as you go.
5. Line your baking tray with baking paper and bake them for 8-10 mins or until golden.
6. Once the biscuits have cooled, mix up all of the icing ingredients and ice the biscuits.
7. While the icing is still wet, decorate with the smarties and white chocolate melts. To stick the nose smartie on, use a bit of the icing.