Last year we made hot cross buns for Easter but this year we thought we’d leave that part to the professionals and put our own Easter-themed stamp on traditional bread and butter pudding. This hot cross bun pudding would be great for an Easter brunch, or to use up leftover hot cross buns.
Stay tuned for our post later in the week where we’ll be giving a round-up of our favourite fun food ideas for Easter from around the net!
What you will need:
- a round casserole dish
- 6 hot cross buns
For the butter mix:
- 1.5 tbsp marg/softened butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
For the custard:
- 1.5 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the top:
- 20ml milk
- a sprinkle of white sugar
- a pastry brush
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Arrange your buns in the dish (you may have to cut the outside buns to make them all fit).
2. Mix the butter, cinnamon and brown sugar for the butter mix. Cut the buns into three slices each and butter the tops of the bottom and middle slices.
3. Whip the eggs until lightly beaten. Add the other ingredients for the custard and whip until combined.
4. Pour the custard mix over the buns.
5. Brush the buns with milk and sprinkle with white sugar to caramelise.
6. Bake for 40 mins or until custard has set. If the top is browning too quickly, cover with foil for 10 mins or until custard is nearly set.