With Australia Day just around the corner, this morning we thought we’d recreate the first fleet with these bacon and avocado boats. We’ve taken our liberties with historical accuracy on this one (pretty sure Australian flags came after 1788…) but they tasted great anyway. They were inspired by some cucumber boats we’d seen on the net but we thought bacon and avocado would be a bit more tasty.
We’re planning to do a round-up of our favourite Australia Day fun food ideas soon, so stay tuned!
What you will need:
- mini Australian flags
- bamboo skewers
- some sticky tape
- middle bacon rashers (one for each boat)
- paper towel
- butter/marg (optional)
- an avocado or two (we used most of one avocado for our four boats)
- a breadstick or some turkish bread
1. Cut some bamboo skewers to make them a bit shorter (around 10cm). Make sure you cut the blunt end so you leave the pointy end on the stick. Using the sticky tape, stick your mini flags on the top.
2. Cut up your avocado into slices.
3. If using a baguette, cut diagonally into ‘boat shaped’ pieces. If using turkish bread, cut slices to the desired size and shape.
4. Cook up your bacon and soak off any excess oil with paper towel.
5. Grill bread. Spread with butter (optional) and avocado.
6. Thread the bacon sails onto the flags, poke them into the bread and you’re ready to set sail!